I’ve been wanting to create a set of stock illustrations using the Mercedes Benz logo for a long time now, but I’ve held off because I didn’t actually think it would work well with my style. As you can probably guess, I like rendering bulky semi-complex objects and I sort of felt like the Mercedes Benz logo would have been too plain (thus creating boring images).
For one, it’s very thin and dainty. I worried that it would be overpowered by any other objects that I placed it with, which is what the Norebbo stock image collection is all about. Also, it’s simple shape led me to believe that it would be difficult to render it in a way that would provide nice glossiness and reflections.
Finally, I realized that I worry too much! So I plowed forward and built a 3d model of the iconic Mercedes logo – with a few artistic liberties of course. As you can see, I had to thicken it up in some instances when placing it with a thick object (such as the padlock) because it quickly became overpowered and almost secondary in the image.
Having just now completed this set of illustrations, I gained a new found respect for this logo. The Mercedes Benz mark is truly one of my favorite corporate identities out there right now, probably because of it’s symbolism of precision and purity. I’m all about simplicity and precision where necessary, so it’s a natural attraction I think.
Anyway, here is a detailed description of this set of nine images:
- A large metallic padlock attached to an upright chrome Mercedes Benz logo over a gray reflective surface
- A translucent glass Mercedes Benz logo hovering over top of a glowing blue pulse graphic
- A large chrome Mercedes Benz logo hovering over an automotive brake rotor and red caliper
- A large chrome Mercedes Benz logo hovering over a glowing green radar screen
- A Mercedes Benz logo inside the center of a large gear over a metal surface
- A large wrench and screwdriver sitting on top of a large chrome Mercedes Benz logo over a gray reflective surface
- A large red sale tag attached to a large chrome Mercedes Benz logo
- A Mercedes Benz logo inside the center of a large reflective gear
- A large red tag with the word NEW on it attached to a large chrome Mercedes Benz logo
NorebboMy name is Scott, and I started in the design industry over 20 years ago with a bachelors degree in Industrial Design from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI. I have an extensive background in both 2D and 3D illustration, and these days, I spend a majority of my time creating aircraft templates and airliner art. I’m basically an airplane dork.
Subscribe to my mailing list and I'll send you a FREE high-resolution all-white Airbus A320 template (a 5000x3000px JPG).
I just built a highly-detailed Lamborghini 3d model in Maya. It was hard.
If you started reading my blog after about 2013 or so, you probably don’t realize that I used to be…
3d illustrations featuring the Lotus logo
You Lotus drivers are an enthusiastic bunch. Ever since I posted my Lamborghini logo illustration set earlier this year, I’ve…